How to prepare the real Italian recipe of Apple Cake or “Strudel di Mele”
A delicious old-fashioned Apple Cake made with apples from the north of Italy with LOVE! A good combination of flavors like: raisins, cinnamon, lemon, apples, pine-nuts; all together for a great result and absolutely an All Healthy choice! You can eat it with vanilla ice cream, with simply fresh cream or with a vanilla sauce, is always perfect in every possible way….
To make the dough
- 1 Egg
- 300 grams of Flour
- 100 grams of Water
- 3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- a pinch of Salt
- 1 kg of Apple
- 60 grams of pine-nuts
- 50 grams of Butter
- 60 grams of Sugar
- 2 tablespoons of Cinnamon
- 50 grams of Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 Lemon
- 70 grams of Raisin
- a bit of Milk
- Start by preparing the dough: Mix the flour with the salt, form a fountain in the center and add the egg. Begin kneading, gradually adding warm water and oil, until the dough will not assume elasticity and texture. Form a dough ball, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for an hour in a warm place.
- Prepare the filling: Peel the apples and cut them into chunks. Add the lemon juice. Toast the bread crumbs with the butter in a fairly large pan, then add the apples, pine nuts, the raisins, previously soaked and squeezed, cinnamon and sugar. Let it cook for a few minutes. Do not burn it!
- Take the dough and roll it out into a very thin sheet, giving it the shape of a rectangle. Place it on a plate covered with parchment paper.
- Add the apples filling, previously prepared with the raisins and pine nuts, inside the strudel being careful to leave the ends of the long rectangle of dough open (about two cm from the edges). With the help of the parchment paper roll the strudel on himself. Trim the excess of dough at the sides and seal well.
- Brush the entire surface of the strudel with milk and bake at 180 degrees for 40 minutes. When it’s ready serve accompanied with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or with a custard.
Posted By Nicoletta and Tiziana