How to prepare the real Italian recipe of Spelt Meatballs or “Polpette di Farro”
Spelt Meatballs with Parmesan are a tasty variation of the classic vegetarian meatballs often prepared with rice. Meatless Meatballs make a great addition to an Italian meal. Toss these wonderful vegetarian meatballs in soy sauce or any favorite sauce, and you’ve got a delicious dinner option! Spelt is an ancient grain. From a nutritional point of view, spelt compared to other cereals is slightly less caloric and richer in vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein. A great Healthy Dinner option!
- 100 grams of Spelt
- 2 Eggs
- 60 grams of Parmesan Cheese
- Bread Crumbs
- Oil to fry
- Salt as preferred
- Add the spelt to a big bowl and cover it with water, leave in the water for 24 hours, now is ready to cook.
- Add it to a large pot with salty water, boil it for about 2 hours.
- Once cooked, drain it through a sieve, and place it in a bowl, adding 2 eggs, parmesan and a pinch of salt.
- Shape into balls, cover with breadcrumbs and fry in hot oil. Serve!
TIP: buy a ready to cook Spelt if you wish to prepare the meatballs faster so that you don’t have to add the Spelt to water a day before. In this case, you can start from step 2, cook as long as directed in cooking instructions included on packaging.
Posted by Nicoletta and Tiziana