How to prepare the real Italian recipe of Spaghetti with Tomato, Olives and Capers or “Spaghetti alla Puttanesca”
“Spaghetti alla Puttanesca” is a very tasty dish of the regional cuisine from Campania, there are many versions, but this is the original and most popular. “Pasta alla Puttanesca” from Campania and Lazio regions. The translation of the title of this dish is “whore’s pasta” believe it or not. Olives, fresh tomato, anchovies, and capers give to this quick dish an intense and very special flavor. Really good and tasty.
Ingredients for 6 people
- 600 grams of Spaghetti Italian Pasta (Barilla or De Cecco for example). Spaghetti is the ideal pasta for this recipe, but any kind of pasta will be fine
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 500 grams of Tomato fresh or canned
- 1 tablespoon of Origan
- 4 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 100 grams of Capers
- 200 grams of Black Olives
- 2 Anchovy fillets (salted or in oil) if you like it, otherwise go ahead without anchovies
- Chilli, Salt and Pepper as preferred
- chopped Parsley
1. In a pan add 4 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 3 cloves of garlic, chilli and anchovies. Gently fry the garlic, chilli and anchovy fillets in the oil. Mash the anchovies with a wooden spoon until they have completely dissolved. Cook until the garlic becomes golden and then eliminate it, remove it from the pan.
2. Add the tomato sauce and cook for 30 minutes, after that add salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon of oregano, capers, olives previously sliced and chilli, cook for 5 minutes more.
3. Cook pasta in the traditional Italian way boiling salted water until “al dente” drain and add to the pan with the sauce. Toss the pasta with the sauce and heat gently for a couple of minutes.
Posted by Nicoletta and Tiziana